Are you planning to move to another city? We tell you what documents are needed, how to choose a transport company, pack things and what to think about in a new place
Changing your place of residence is always a troublesome process. The matter only becomes more complicated if you move to another city. In this case, returning for something that you forgot in a hurry is no longer as easy as going to the next area. If you decide to live in another city, then you should prepare in advance, try to foresee all the surprises, correctly draw up all the documents and not forget anything.
What you need to move: documents and formalities
In order not to forget anything, break the preparation into several stages:
- collection and execution of necessary documents;
- packing and transportation of things;
- registration and settling in a new place.
Relocation experts advise starting to prepare as early as a month in advance.
Make sure that all your debts in the current place are repaid:
- utility bills (contributions for capital repairs including);
- car fines;
- alimony debts;
- consumer loans;
- taxes and interest on them.
If this is not possible, then make sure that nothing will prevent you from continuing to fulfill your obligations in the new place of residence.
Prepare and check personal documents:
- Russian passport;
- it makes sense to renew the international passport at the old place of residence if its validity expires soon;
- driver’s license;
- marriage or divorce certificate;
- birth certificates of children;
- compulsory medical insurance policy;
- diplomas and certificates;
- employment history;
- certificates of personal income tax and 182n at the old place of work in case you need to apply for tax
- deductions or sick leave at a new place;
- extracts from the medical records of the entire family, especially in relation to chronic diseases, hospitalizations
- and vaccinations;
- certificates from a narcologist and a psychiatrist, if they are required at a new job;
- characteristics from schools and letters of recommendation from the previous place of work;
- a contract for the sale of apartments and other documents that certify your right to own a new apartment.
Close and terminate other obligations:
- liquidate an individual entrepreneur or LLC, if necessary. It is better to close a business that you do not plan to do in a new place;
- terminate contracts that will be irrelevant in the new place. For example, a contract for the Internet in an old apartment or a mobile connection with a regional operator. For the period of moving, you can use the service of a virtual SIM card already with a new operator, if you plan to change it. And already on the spot you will get a real SIM card with a favorable tariff;
- terminate the property insurance contract if you had one in relation to the old apartment. You will need to take care of insurance already for a new home.
You don’t have to let everyone know where you’re moving, but in some cases it’s useful. For example, new tenants of your old apartment may receive your correspondence for some time. It makes sense to tell them where it can be forwarded if necessary.
How to transport things to another city
There are three challenges for effective collections: what you will take with you, how to pack it, and how to transport it.
Start with the main thing – decide what you are not going to take with you. That is, carry out decluttering. Everything that you do not need can be divided into three categories: give to charity, sell and dispose.
You can donate unnecessary things either directly to those in need, or contact specialized funds that distribute the donated. You can sell used items through bulletin boards and groups on social networks and instant messengers. The most convenient option is to find a group in your area or home. Surely some things will be found that are no longer suitable for reuse. Do not rush to throw them in the trash, look for options for proper disposal, especially when it comes to household appliances.
The next step is to measure and write down all the things that you plan to take with you. This is necessary in order to understand what kind of transport you need: a car, a gazelle or a truck. In addition, you can immediately assess what kind of packaging will be needed and in what quantity. On the spot, according to the same list, it will be convenient to check whether everything arrived intact.
All furniture and large objects should be carefully measured by the sides and, if possible, by weight. Of course, it will not work to weigh a refrigerator or sideboard, but often such information can be found in the documentation for the product or on the manufacturer’s website. All these measurements will help in negotiations with the transport company.
Consider several companies that provide moving services. Be sure to pay attention to customer reviews and how the final price is calculated. There are firms that help with disassembling furniture and packing things before shipping. This is a good help, especially in the case of large furniture and household appliances.
none. The final cost of transporting your things may include:
- dismantling of large-sized furniture;
- packing services and the cost of packing materials;
- descending and raising things up the stairs or on the elevator. Pay attention to whether all your large items will go through elevators and doorways. You may have to lift something through the window, this will also require additional payment. The weight of things and the number of floors can also affect the cost of descent and ascent;
- transportation by transport of different types. Payment can be made up of mileage or time spent on transportation;
- services of loaders, and their cost may depend on the number of workers required for loading;
- whether someone will be present during transportation. For a place in a truck for yourself or a family member,
- you may have to pay extra.
How to pack for moving to another city
If you still decide to do the packing yourself, you should stock up on the necessary tools – old newspapers and canvas bags are indispensable here.
You will need a centimeter for measurements, screwdrivers, a screwdriver, adhesive tape and markers. With these tools, you can take apart large items, close and seal boxes, mark what is where, and most importantly, measure everything.
For packaging, it is good to use boxes, bubble wrap, wrapping paper, bags, vacuum packaging. All this is sold in stores, but you can try to get something for free. In a nearby supermarket, there are probably a lot of boxes of goods left. It is important to check that they are clean and free of foreign odors.
If you plan to transport some of your things in bags and suitcases, be sure to check the reliability of the locks and fasteners in advance, or better wrap them with tape. Prepare a garbage bag. Surely after such a large-scale process, it is formed. It is most convenient to immediately throw out unnecessary things in a bag specially prepared for this.
Start packing with large items that you rarely use or don’t need urgently. Separately pack and keep close to you things that you will definitely need at first – seasonal clothes, dishes, medicines, baby supplies. Last of all, pack your everyday items – it is better to take them with you. There is always a risk that the cargo will be delayed somewhere, it is important to insure yourself in such a case.
Be logical when packing. Liquid items (such as cosmetics and household chemicals) should not be adjacent to electronics or books. It is better to pack them separately, shifting paper and bubble wrap. It is good to pack textiles in vacuum packaging – this saves space.